Day -28: planning food with mom
Today was very productive. Mom and I sat down with Yogi’s guide and created a food plan. We planned/discovered things like:
- Each day initially is 3000 calories.
- How many days to ship me food for, and where.
- What parts of the trail am I going to find my own food (usually places close to the trail with a good super market etc)
- By Kennedy Meadows (mile 700) my food shipments will be 4000 calories — this will actually change before this point, it depends on when my natural hiker hunger sets in (starvation).
- Gorp (‘good ol raisins and peanuts’ aka trail mix) is a huge percentage of calories. Daily we are mixing 2 cups of gorp which I estimate is about 1250 calories (two cups of just nuts is 1600). Look at the bottom right corner of the photo, 2 cups isn’t a whole lot.
- We created food for the first four days, my conclusions are that we need to use dicentra’s books to make a rice/beans source of calories, +gorp, +1/2 or less special items compared to what we came up with for the first four days (as pictured).
The pictured items take up too much space and are generally too heavy for the calories, and getting 2/3 or 3/4 of the calories from dehydrated food and gorp will not only resolve this, but lower the price weight and space consumed considerably.
When it is time for me to come up with my own food from grocery stores, I see a lot of tortillas and peanut butter in my future.
If I am interpreting our notes correctly, mom is shipping me 17 boxes, and I’m responsible for my own resupply 18 times.
This is getting real!